Brahms — Violin Concerto
Title: Brahms — Violin Concerto
Artist: Johanna Martzy (violin)
Günter Wand (cond),
Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart des SWR
Cat No.: CNLR1605
Label: SWR MUSIC
Format: 1LP, 180g Vinyl
Barcode : 8809300903750
● From the original analogue master tapes of SWR archives.
● Audiophile full analogue mastering by Rainer Maillard
● Cutting to lacquers at Emil Berliner Studios
● 180g audiophile virgin vinyl pressed by Pallas GmbH in Germany.
● Old style tip-on Jacket with extra protection jacket for the record.
● The first time ever on vinyl
Recording 06. 02. 1964, Liederhalle Stuttgart
Sound Engineer Frank Richter
Artistic Director Erich Prümmer
Johanna Martzy is one of the greatest violinists of the 20th century, alongside the likes of Ida Haendel, Ginette Neveu, Erica Morini, Gioconda De Vito... the recordings we still have from her testify to a violinist and musician of the highest class who was not possessed by a demon compelling her to provide the world with as extravagant an interpretation as possible, but with unleashed verve, inspired articula-tion and perfectly clear control as a devoted medium of musical energies.
It is particularly instructive, following the terrific studio recordings of the concertos by (Mendelssohn and) Brahms, to hear the exciting live concert recordings made in Stuttgart with Günter Wand (1964) and appreciate what a phenomenal violinist Johanna Martzy was, without any thought of grandstanding or pretension, always authentic, fully emphatic and with a select, cultivated taste. - Christoph Schlüren