Title: Mahler — Symphony No. 7
Artist: Leonard Bernstein (cond),
New York Philharmonic
Cat No.: LP43014
Format: 2LP, 180g Vinyl, Box
Barcode : 8808678160147
* From the original masters of Universal Music.
* Audiophile analogue mastering by Kevin Gray
* Cutting at Cohearent Audio LLC.
* 180g audiophile virgin vinyl
* Pressed by Pallas GmbH in Germany.
The slow tempo for the opening of the Seventh lends bounding energy to the Allegro when it arrives but there is a beautiful stillness for the central interlude. The ending is clamorous and fundamentally optimistic. The first Nachtmusik is full of light and shade with expertly played solo contributions, and you really get the feeling that Bernstein is enjoying himself for the first trio section. The scherzo is dark but not especially threatening and the second Nachtmusik has well played solos but lacks humour. However, the ebullient, eclectic finale could well have been written for this conductor’s personality, and the closing bars seem to embrace the vulgarity enthusiastically.
- Music Web-International
* Originally Released on 1983