Mendelssohn — Violin Concerto
Title: Mendelssohn — Violin Concerto
Artist: Johanna Martzy (violin), Ida Haendel(violin)
Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart des SWR
Cat No.: CNLR1606
Label: SWR MUSIC
Format: 1LP, 180g Vinyl
Barcode : 8809300903750
● From the original analogue master tapes of SWR archives..
● Audiophile full analogue mastering by Rainer Maillard
● Cutting to lacquers at Emil Berliner Studios
● 180g audiophile virgin vinyl pressed by Pallas GmbH in Germany.
● Old style tip-on Jacket with extra protection jacket for the record.
● The first time ever on vinyl
Recording 05. 02. 1959, Liederhalle Stuttgart (Johanna Martzy), 10. 01. 1953, Sendesaal Villa Berg (Ida Haendel)
Sound Engineer Hannes Staub
Artistic Director Erich Prümmer (Johanna Martzy), Hr. Lichius (Ida Haendel)
It is particularly instructive, following the terrific studio recordings of the concertos by Mendelssohn (and Brahms), to hear the exciting live concert recording made in Stuttgart a few years later with the chief conductor of the RSO, Hans Müller-Kray (1959) and appreciate what a phenomenal violinist Johanna Martzy was, without any thought of grandstanding or pretension, always authentic, fully emphatic and with a select, cultivated taste.
- Christoph Schlüren
The young Ida Haendel was technically on top form in Stuttgart in 1953-55 when she broadcast the Mendelssohn Concerto under the baton of Hans Müller-Kray, her approach, as ever, sweet-toned, fiery... always her intimitable self. - The Gramophone Magazine